The Powell River Kings concluded their weekend mainland swing by collecting four out of a possible six points. The Kings only surrendered three goals in three games but won once. That's the kind of weekend it was.
- Well deserved recognition for Kings netminder Mike Garteig (above). He is the BCHL player of the week! Way to go Garts'! Full details here. Garteig is, in my opinion, an early season MVP candidate.
- The Kings have climb to 2nd in the CJHL weekely rankings. Full details here
- 6 goals in three games might concern some. Heck, Penticton scored 7 in one period yesterday versus Prince George. However the Kings have scored 100 goals, which is fourth best in the Coast and 5th best in the entire BCHL. Remember, this team did put 5 past the Vernon Vipers last week. The goals will come.
- Also you need to factor in that the Kings weren't playing 100 percent healthy the entire weekend, as the flu bug has gone through the team and staff. Also factor in Chad Niddery and Cohen Adair picking up bumps along the way. Yesterday this team was missing two thirds of their top unit as Dan Schuler was also out for a one game suspension.
- If you were to poll all 16 head coaches in the BCHL I would guess that 14 would be quite happy with 6 out a possible 8 points. That's what the Kings did last week.
- I don't want to use this as a soapbox to complain about officiating. However the Kings had more then a few tough calls go against them including a controversial disallowed goal in Surrey which would have turned out to be the game winner. I know quite well officials are just like you and me and like players are trying to develop to the next level. All I ask for is consistency and I know coaches want better dialogue.
- It's another busy week for the Kings as they have a home and home with Nanaimo starting Wendesday and a trip to the Dog Pound on Saturday.
Enjoy your Monday,