Monday, February 7, 2011

MONDAY MUSINGS

After a brief hiatus, the feature is back and I have a few thoughts and opinions to share with you..

  • Belated I know, but congratulations to Kings Head Coach Kent Lewis on his 500th win in the BCHL. The milestone was reached in Friday's 5-1 win over the Express. I made no mention of it through the weekend,maybe as a superstitious habit. Not many other coaches can say the have 500 wins beside their name. Kent tells me his first win came in september of 1990. A 6-1 thrashing of the Victoria Warriors at the Memorial Arena. Look for an interview with Kent very shortly.
  • The Kings moved up one spot to second in the CJHL weekly rankings. The Kings are behind the Spruce Grove Saints of the AJHL. For the first time this season three BCHL teams are in the top 20, as Salmon Arm comes in at 18 and Vernon enters the top ten.
  • Could a Powell River King be picked again for the BCHL Player of the Week? Matt Garbowsky had a 10 point effort one week ago. This past week, Mike Garteig went 3-0-0 with one shut out and he stopped 89 of 91 shots faced. Garteig had a save percentage of .978 and a 0.67 goals against average. Hard to argue against those numbers.
  • The Kings are well on their way to setting a new BCHL record for fewest goals against in a season.  The record is119, set by Vernon one season ago. This past weekend put the team back on track as they have only allowed 98 goals, with six games remaining.
  • I think it would be neat to compare this team to the 93-94 Paper Kings who hold he franchise record for most wins and points. It would be a great topic of debate among fans who were around for both era's. Which one is better?
  • I need some help on this one. I was told that the Kings 18 road wins this season is indeed a franchise record for the Kings. Correct me if I'm wrong in the comment section below or email me.
  • This past weekend showed me that the Junior "A" supplement isn't as clear as I thought. I came away with the impression that even some officials are still hazy on a few areas, in particular blows to the head.
  • The supplement was put in place to curb head shots, dangerous hits and non hockey plays such as fighting. I have yet to see a decrease in any of those areas. The head shot is the topic du jour right now in hockey circles. Hits to the head calls are up but is that because they are being called more? I have seen more head shots and dangerous hits this season under the supplement. Granted I covered a different Jr. A leauge last season (SJHL), but I don't feel the players are being any more protected this season than from season's past.
  • Why? Plain and simple... fighting. Like those who said the instigator rule hurts the NHL, I believe the Supplement hinders player safety in the BCHL. I'll make this clear, I'm not promoting fighting in our game, but I believe it serves a purpose. There is a reason why it has lasted the test of time in hockey.  Being accountable for your actions is key.
  • A perfect example came from Saturday's game in Langley. In the second period Steven Schmidt caught Brad McBride with a solid hit at the Kings blue line. McBride felt he was in a vulnerable spot, didn't like the hit, and went to Schmidt in the corner. Schmidt obliged and both took part in a spirited scrap. Score settled right there. No issues, no one going after each other later in the game with the potential of injury.
  • My worry is when a similar play happens and the two players involved have their fights at five and can't scrap. That's when the bad blood carries on and someone can be a target for a dangerous hit.
  • Finally, on a lighter note, Happy Birthday to Kings Assistant Coach Geoff Grimwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment